BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: Palm Beach County) — The Palm Beach County Community Services Department (CSD) has contracted with the Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County, Inc. and Florida Rural Legal Services, Inc. to provide county residents with free legal representation and assistance in handling landlord/tenant matters and past due payments through the Rapid Response Eviction Assistance Project (RREAP). The program is part of the CARES Act COVID-19.
Through the COVID-19 RREAP, the agencies will assist individuals who have received a three-day notice or demand for rent from their landlord, been served with an eviction lawsuit, or who need help understanding the eviction process. The services include:
· pre-suit mediation between landlords and tenants
· legal advice regarding the eviction process
· referrals for rental assistance
· preparation of responses to an eviction lawsuit
· assistance in negotiating repayment plans, and
· court representation.
The COVID-19 RREAP is designed to respond to the housing crisis created by the COVID-19 pandemic by mediating disagreements between tenants and property owners. Through this program, parties will be able to construct payment plans, temporary rent reductions, deferred payments or other creative solutions to prevent evictions and ultimately homelessness.
The program term is from Aug. 1 through Dec. 30, 2020, and participants can receive up to $10,000 in rental assistance. Eligibility requirements for the program include:
· rental unit must be located in Palm Beach County
· tenant’s income is under 140% of Area Median Income
Applicants will need documentation to qualify for the program:
· proof of U.S. Citizenship or legal residents (per CARES Act regulations)
· documentation proving hardship is directly related to the COVID-19 pandemic, such as evidence of loss of income, reduction in hours, or unemployment due to the COVID-19 pandemic that contributed to the missed rental payments, and
· an eviction notice (three-day notice or 30-day notice for CARES Act covered parties);
Individuals facing eviction may call the Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County’s Rapid Response Eviction Project at (561) 655-8944, ext. 328 or Florida Rural Legal Services at 1-888-582-3410.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- PALM BEACH COUNTY POSITIVITY RATE JUMPS, HOSPITALIZATIONS SURGE
- KINSA: Palm Beach County Has Never Been So Dangerous For COVID-19
- Teachers: No Organized Walkout Planned Over Masking Battle
- FLORIDA SETS RECORD: 21,683 COVID CASES RECORDED ON FRIDAY
- Delray Beach Man Allegedly Held Knife To Wife, False Imprisonment Charge
- Heading To Airport? Yet Again, Fort Lauderdale Parking Is Packed
- EXCEPTIONALLY BAD: Florida Department Health COVID Report Is Dire
- Publix Mask Mandate Returns, Associates For Now, Customer Decision Pending
- CDC: PALM BEACH COUNTY POSITIVITY NOW 18 PERCENT