Rate Remains Above 14-Percent. Pediatricians Say No “In-Person” School Until Rate Drops Below 5-Percent
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — There is growing attention being paid to the pediatric positivity rate reported by the State of Florida for COVID-19 in Palm Beach County. While Palm Beach County overall has reported positivity rates in the 3’s, 4’s and 5’s over the past week, the pediatric rate remains at an extremely high 14.4-percent.
In Tuesday’s report, the Florida Department of Health reports 3,114 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Palm Beach County residents under age 18.
While the Palm Beach County rate is high, it’s trails Miami-Dade and Broward. Miami-Dade reports a pediatric positivity rate of 20.5-percent, while Broward reports 17.5-percent. Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade lead the state with the highest pediatric positivity rates in large counties by population.
In Palm Beach County, the Florida Department of Health reports a total of 667 cases in children 0-4 years of age, 1,572 cases in children 5 to 14, and 5,895 in young adults 15-24. It is not carving out the 15-17 age group. The one day numbers logged on August 24th are a bit more comforting: 1 new case was reported in a child in the 0-4 age group, 6 in the 5-14 age group, and 16 in the 15-24 age group.
The Florida Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics says “in person” learning should be delayed until the pediatric rate is consistently in the 3-5-percent range.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Masks Still Required In Palm Beach County Schools
- WATCH Former Trump Campaign Official Get Tackled By Fort Lauderdale Police
- CAUGHT ON TAPE: Man Beats Dog In Boynton Beach, Police Investigate
- STABBING ON THE HIGH SEAS: Florida Man Sentenced For Using Gun, Knife On Captain
- WEATHER: Palm Beach County May Feel Lows Around 70
- West Boca Raton High School Student Tests Positive For COVID-19
- Reminder: No Palm Beach County School Monday; Del Prado Staffer Tests Positive
- COVID-19: Huge Spike In Flu-Related ER Visits In Palm Beach County
- COVID-19: DUI Arrests Surge As Phase 3 Begins, Boca, Delray, Boynton Bars Reopen