BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The “stay” issued when a Leon County Judge this week declared Florida’s demand that schools open for in-person education, or lose funding, has been vacated. It is a huge victory for the Florida Education Association — the organization that includes more than 150,000 educators in the state.
A highlight from the order written by Hon. Charles Dodson, which you can read in its entirety below: “the Court finds that the harm which would arise if the automatic stay is permitted to remain in place is irreparable and incapable of being remedied through money damages. On the other hand, any injury to Defendants (Florida. Dept. of Education) would be negligible if the temporary injunction remains in effect during the pendency of further proceedings.”
To recap: Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran ordered school districts in Florida to open for “in-person” education, or risk losing significant funding provided by the State of Florida. The Florida Education Association sued, saying that’s unconstitutional. A judge agreed earlier in the week and said the opening decision should be based on local health metrics, not the Dept. of Education.
In Palm Beach County, there is significant friction between the Board of County Commissioners and the School Board — two separate governing bodies. The School Board has voted to open schools for in-person learning one week after Palm Beach County moves to Phase 2 of the “reopening plan.” Palm Beach County Mayor Dave Kerner has stated repeatedly that the School Board should not tie its opening to what the county does or doesn’t do. He said opening schools just days after the county permits more businesses to open or increase capacity may lead to increased COVID-19 spread.Order-Vacating-Automatic-Stay-8-27-2020
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Johnson and Johnson Shots Being Canceled Throughout Area
- Flights Resume After Bomb Scare, Major Weather Delays At Fort Lauderdale Airport
- Roaches Found In Boca Raton Yogurt Shop, State Shuts It Down
- Real Estate Agent Susan Caljean Jailed On DUI Charge
- GETTING WORSE: Florida COVID Positivity Rate Highest In A Month
- FLORIDA HOSPITAL COUNT JUMPS: More Than 3000 Hospitalized For COVID
- Is The Boca Raton Police Department Doing Enough To Prevent Traffic Deaths, Injuries?
- Crowds, Chaos At Fort Lauderdale Airport Monday Morning
- Golf Instructor Drake Kelso Jailed On DUI Charge, Said Gun Was In Car