Teachers Say They Have Experience, Love To Teach, Enjoy Distance Learning, But Fear Death From COVID-19
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Several teachers who self-identified as “older” are pleading with the Palm Beach County School Board to let them teach virtually until COVID-19 is under control. The school board previously said that was not a problem, but recently changed course. Their new options: teach, take personal leave, or be fired.
Among the teachers speaking during a public comment portion of Wednesday’s “work session” was one who said he was 80, loved teaching his students virtually, and continues to be called by parents who want him to teach more because his work is so effective and student love it. But he suffers from COPD and AFIB and can’t risk teaching in a COVID-19 infected school.
The teacher said he was initially told by school officials that “virtual” education would be an option for high risk teachers throughout the COVID crisis. The Palm Beach County Classroom Teachers Association concurs. But now the school board is changing course — refusing to let teachers maintain a remote presence.
Watch the latest, live. We expect this meeting to continue until at least 6 p.m. on Wednesday, September 2, 2020.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 866-4-FL-NEWS. Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Raton Woman Crashes Mercedes Into Honda After Two Martinis
- In Florida, 65 Die From COVID Monday, But Hospitalizations Dropping
- Florida Fish And Wildlife Commission Releases Details Of Weekend Fatal Crash
- UPDATE: Orlando Man Dies In Boca Raton I-95 Crash
- TRAFFIC ALERT: ALL LANES ON I-95 NORTHBOUND SHUT IN BOCA RATON
- SIRENS: Assault In Boca Dunes, Hard Fall In Boca Raton Publix, Trauma In St. Andrews
- COLD! Wind Chill In The 30s Possible In Palm Beach County Tonight
- GROUNDED: Airlines Already Cancel 1400 Flights Monday
- FEDS: 68 Died Sunday From COVID In Florida Hospitals, But What’s Real?