BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Hillsborough County and Sarasota County have both launched “dashboards” revealing how many students and teachers in each school district have tested positive for COVID-19. But leaders of the Palm Beach County School District, which starts in-person learning on September 21st, say there is no plan to do the same.
In fact, Deputy Superintendent Keith Oswald stated at a recent meeting that he believes releasing that information violates HIPAA. That is blatantly incorrect, as HIPAA applies to healthcare providers, not schools.
The dashboards provide a near real-time look at the spread of COVID-19 within schools. Both dashboards separate students and staff members. In addition to providing transparency, the dashboards calm concerned stakeholders who can visualize that 2 student infections in one school may not require the closure of an entire school district.
While the Sarasota County School District is considerably smaller than Palm Beach County, Hillsborough is not. It includes roughly 200,000 students. Palm Beach County educates roughly 180,000 students.
As of early Wednesday morning, September 9, 2020, there is no public plan for a Palm Beach County School District COVID-19 dashboard. It remains unclear how the school district plans to communicate COVID-19 infections to the public.
BocaNewsNow.com will compile and report school infections. Please use our school news reporting center to provide information. Rebekah Jones, the fired lead data analyst for the the State of Florida, has launched a national project reporting COVID in schools. That information is here.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- BOCA: Man Attempts To Carjack Rolls Royce, And Take Owner’s Girlfriend
- Boca Raton Police Jail Man For Carjacking, Kidnapping
- It’s HOA Budget Time, Let Us Know If Anything Is Questionable, Illegal, Scandalous
- DRAMA: iPIC Boca Raton Sued For Astronomical Unpaid Rent Bill
- HOSPITAL FEARS: Now 292 Hospitalized In Palm Beach County For COVID, Florida Availability Drops
- FLORIDA OFFICIALLY LOGS ONE MILLION COVID CASES AS GOVERNOR SAYS MASKS DON’T WORK
- Gang Members Arrested, Firearms And Heroin Seized In Joint Broward, Boca Raton, Federal Operation
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: CARES Act Application Deadline Extended
- Florida Receives Additional $28M In Cares Act Funding, Help For Unemployed