PBC Increase Comes Day After BocaNewsNow.com Asks Why Police Aren’t Enforcing Executive Orders, Mask Use Violations
BY: ANDREW COLTON | Editor and Publisher
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Palm Beach County recorded 17 COVID-19 deaths on Monday through 11:59 p.m. — that’s a recent one day record. 164 new COVID-19 infections were also logged Monday in Palm Beach County.
The uptick comes as BocaNewsNow.com reported that the Boca Raton Police Department confirms that officers are not enforcing COVID-19 executive orders within the city, instead referring any possible violations to Boca Raton Code Enforcement or Palm Beach County’s COVID Education and Compliance Team (CECT).
It is not clear who set that policy. Boca Raton Mayor Scott Singer did not immediately respond to an email seeking clarification.
There were no COVID-19 citations issued Sunday when Boca Raton police broke up what they called a “massive” non-permitted event of hundreds of car enthusiasts near Mizner Park. Readers tell BocaNewsNow.com that many people were violating COVID-19 orders, but Boca PD took no action, other than to disperse the crowd.
We asked Boca Raton PD about its COVID compliance policies and were directed to Boca Raton Code Enforcement which did not respond.
“As you know,” wrote Boca Raton Police Spokesman Mark Economou, “some (local) PD’s do it, some Code Enforcement (departments) do it. In Boca Raton, Code Enforcement handles it.”
Boca Raton City Spokeswoman Chrissy Gibson told BocaNewsNow.com that COVID-19 issues may be handled by the city’s code enforcement team, or sent to the County’s CECT. Gibson acknowledged that it could be days before either agency investigates — well after COVID may be spread by people not wearing masks.
Two Boca Raton Police officers are members of the CECT.
Statewide, Florida reported 2,701 new COVID-19 infections on Monday with 145 new COVID-19 deaths.
There are now 668,846 confirmed COVID-19 infections in Florida with 12,787 deaths.
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Palm Beach County School Bus Drivers Infected With COVID As Numbers Climb District Wide
- Florida Adds 58,865 COVID-19 Cases In Just One Week
- Boca Raton Woman Pepper Sprays Husband As He Disciplines Daughter
- Mizner Park Tenants Sued For Unpaid Rent, Now Planet Blue Faces Eviction
- Police Seek Deerfield Beach Man Wanted For Manslaughter
- Delray Beach Woman Flees Police After Crash, Then Crashes Into Dumpster and Fire Hydrant
- REAL ESTATE WARNING: FAU Professor Says U.S. Housing Market Peaking, South Florida Overvalued
- FLORIDA COVID: State Adds 10,699 New Coronavirus Cases, 98 Deaths
- NO SCHOOL FRIDAY: Palm Beach County Public Schools Closed For Students