BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Several principals are receiving rave reviews in the final days before schools open for “in person” learning on Monday. Principals at Omni Middle School, Whispering Pines Elementary School, Sunrise Park and Eagles Landing Middle School have all been the subject of complimentary emails sent by readers to BocaNewsNow.com. While no one has suggested that any plan presented so far is perfect, these principals — and others across the county— have held live “Google Meets” with parents to explain individual plans for their schools.
The plans are overall being warmly received.
Schools with active PTA’s capable of raising significant funds seem to be more prepared for Monday’s opening than schools were finances are tighter. PTA’s have contributed to the purchase of plexiglass shields, smart boards, additional Chromebooks and other needed supplies.
But even Wednesday night, Palm Beach County School District Superintendent Donald Fennoy announced that schools are still in the process of acquiring materials needed — everything from PPE to power strips for computers. Schools in affluent sections of Palm Beach County seem to have more of what is needed.
Despite the positive reviews, parents, administrators, even school board members continued to express concern at Wednesday’s school board meeting over the district’s preparedness.
A corner, however, seemed to be turned. There is now less complaining and more of a realization that ready or not, school starts Monday. The best anyone can do now is whatever they can do to keep kids and staffers safe.
Roughly half of the school district’s 180,000 students are expected to return to in-person education, with the rest remaining home for “distance learning.”
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Police Cam Captures Takedown Of Former Campaign Official
- Masks Still Required In Palm Beach County Schools
- CAUGHT ON TAPE: Man Beats Dog In Boynton Beach, Police Investigate
- STABBING ON THE HIGH SEAS: Florida Man Sentenced For Using Gun, Knife On Captain
- WEATHER: Palm Beach County May Feel Lows Around 70
- West Boca Raton High School Student Tests Positive For COVID-19
- Reminder: No Palm Beach County School Monday; Del Prado Staffer Tests Positive
- COVID-19: Huge Spike In Flu-Related ER Visits In Palm Beach County
- COVID-19: DUI Arrests Surge As Phase 3 Begins, Boca, Delray, Boynton Bars Reopen