School District Prepares For Staffing Shortage Due To COVID-19
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The Palm Beach County School District is in the midst of an interestingly timed hiring drive for substitute teachers. As full-time teachers continue to not know what’s going to happen on Monday when brick-and-mortar education resumes, the school district apparently is needed of subs to fill the spots of teachers who don’t show, refuse to show, or are granted medical leave.
BocaNewsNow.com is already aware of several elementary and middle school teachers in South Palm Beach County who will be using substitute teachers to oversee classrooms while teachers teach from home. Think of it as in-school distance learning: the kids will remain on computers as they watch their teacher who is somewhere else. The difference: the kids will have to wear masks, stay away from their friends, follow all school district protocols, and operate in a somewhat house-arrest state.
There is no chance that those applying for substitute positions will be hired by Monday, but here is the basic information and a link to apply if you are interested in substitute teaching — or babysitting — during the 2020-2021 s school year.
The Palm Beach County School District pays between $11 and $13 an hour. To teach. During COVID-19.
Substitute teaching can be a rewarding job, and often assists aspiring teachers in gaining the experience needed to lead their own classroom. It also provides a flexible job schedule where you determine the days you will work. When the regular teacher is absent, substitute teachers play a significant role in maintaining a stable classroom. It is critical that students have effective teachers every day, and that no instructional time is wasted.
- Thirty (30) earned college credits/hours
- Completion of the How to Become a Better Substitute Teacher Workshop (exemptions* apply)
- Completion of hiring process and hiring documents
*Workshop exemptions (proof required):
If within the past five (5) years:
- You have been an SDPBC substitute teacher, or
- You held a valid substitute certificate from another county, or
- You have been a student teacher (or are entering your student teaching), or
- You have been an active, certified classroom teacher, or
- You retired from a K-12 classroom teaching position.
Substitute Pay Rates
- Retired* Teachers (from any State) – $13.91 per hour
- BA/BS Degree or Higher – $13.39 per hour
- AA/AS Degree or 60+ Earned Credits/Hours – $11.59 per hour
- 30-59 Earned Credits/Hours – $11.33 per hour
- Glades Supplement – additional $3.00 per hour
FREE! SUBSCRIBE TO BOCANEWSNOW.COM
Content copyright © 2020 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Delray Woman Sues, Says Dunkin’ Coffee Cup Collapsed
- More Dead, More Infected In Florida As COVID Spread Continues
- Now 140 COVID-19 Cases In Palm Beach County Schools
- HURRICANE CENTER: South Florida Near System’s Path
- West Boca Raton’s David Cohen Jailed On Money Laundering, Fraud Charges
- UPDATE: DISTANCE LEARNING COULD END IN JANUARY, PALM BEACH SCHOOLS ISSUES STATEMENT
- Florida Dept. of Ed. Calls Rumor Of “Distance Learning” Ending “False Narrative”
- FLORIDA COVID: 5,489 New Infections Reported, Highest One Day Total In Weeks
- HURRICANE CENTER: New System Could Affect South Florida