UPDATE: 6:30 p.m. The turnpike is opened — or in the process of reopening. Expect major delays. A quick look at traffic cams at 6:50 p.m. shows significant backups. Use FL511.com for the latest.
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Something doesn’t seem quite right. Florida logged another 177 COVID-19 deaths on Wednesday through 11:59 p.m. with 2,618 new infections. Palm Beach County logged 22 new COVID deaths — among the highest in recent weeks — with 119 new infections. But the Florida Department of Health says the Florida positivity rate is 4.45 percent while it’s 3.16 in Palm Beach County.
To put it another way: the death rates are approaching levels we saw during the summer peak, yet the official position of the Florida Department of Health is that there’s very low COVID-19 occurrence in Florida. That raises the question, why are so many people dying from COVID if we are to believe that COVID levels are so low?
As of Thursday, 693,040 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Florida. The death count is 13,795. In Palm Beach County, 45,866 people have tested positive for COVID-19 with 13,795 deaths.
Johns Hopkins University’s Coronavirus Resource Center reports that Florida’s 7-day moving positivity average is 11.2-percent.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Raton Firefighters Battle Elevator Blaze
- Palm Beach County ICU’s Packed, COVID Count Rising
- OUTRAGEOUS AGENTS: Tinder Leads To Battery Charge For Boca Realtor
- HORRIBLE: FLORIDA PASSES 25,000 DEATHS AS DESANTIS PROMOTES EMPLOYMENT
- Mizner Country Club GM Says Club Not Involved In Drug Sales
- Two In West Boca Home Jailed On Drug Charges
- POLICE: No, This Cat Wasn’t Shot In The Face And Dumped In Boca Raton
- GETTING WORSE: South Palm Beach County ICUs Full, COVID Count Up
- PUBLIX: COVID Vaccine Appointment Site Open Again