BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Just hours after Florida Governor Ron DeSantis ordered the entire state to “phase 3” of his reopening plan, Florida passed the 14,000 death mark and came closer to 700,000 COVID-19 infections.
According to the Florida Department of Health, the state logged 107 new deaths on Friday though 11:59 p.m. with 2,791 new COVID-19 infections. In Palm Beach County, 5 new deaths were logged with 162 new infections.
Florida has now recorded 698,682 COVID-19 cases with 14,022 deaths.
DeSantis’ order to Phase 3 came with a mandate that local municipalities can NOT fine individual citizens for not wearing masks outside. However, fines may continue for violations in stores, restaurants and retail locations, although the fines will more likely than not be assessed to the business and not the individual.
That’s nothing new for Palm Beach County which, even during the peak of COVID-19, never fined any individual for not wearing a mask. BocaNewsNow.com has previously reported on Delray Beach Police and Boca Raton Police officers walking by masking “offenders” without making contact at all. Individual fines were authorized up to $100 by the Palm Beach County Commission. Palm Beach County’s unwillingness to fine violators led many to question the point of a mask mandate at all.
The rush to “phase 3” is largely being panned by medical professionals nationwide, with the exception of a few who self-identify as “conservative.”
Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber calls DeSantis’ order “political.”
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: Parents Fear Masked Kids Will Be Bullied In School
- Boca Raton Man Claims 800-Pack-Rat Sold His Stuff When Credit Card Expired
- Florida Teachers Slam DeSantis, Call On Him To Listen To Medical Professionals
- BREAKING: Palm Beach County Reinstates Mandatory Masking In Public Buildings
- SCARED SCHOOL BOARD: We Obtain Private Email From Member Fearing Gov. DeSantis
- Area Veterinarian Pleads Guilty To Taping Self Being Intimate With Dog
- Fire, Identify, Publicly Ridicule Unvaccinated: Here’s What Florida Readers Are Saying
- FUNERAL HOME ERROR: Lists Boca Raton Man As Single, Was Actually Married
- PALM BEACH COUNTY: COVID Positivity Soars To 16.4 Percent