BROWARD COUNTY, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: BSO Media Advisory Verbatim) — For nearly two years, a group of four people, including two attorneys, pulled off a sophisticated fraud scheme by stealing foreclosure surplus checks from unsuspecting victims. The fraud in “Operation Claim Game” cost victims nearly $750,000.
According to detectives with the Broward Sheriff’s Office Money Laundering Task Force, attorneys Rashida Overby and Ria Sankar-Balram filed fraudulent pleadings in Broward County Court alleging that they represented elderly property owners or heirs of deceased property owners who were owed surplus funds from the foreclosure sale of a property. After judges granted the pleadings, the funds never made it to the rightful owners. Instead, the monies were deposited into the attorneys’ escrow accounts, and some of the funds were wired to Illya and Patricia Tinker’s bank accounts.
BSO detectives worked in close partnership with the Broward State Attorney’s Office to bring organized scheme to defraud, grand theft and money laundering charges in this case.
BSO detectives arrested Overby and Sankar-Balram on Monday morning. The Tinkers are already in the Broward County Jail after being convicted last year for crimes committed in “Operation Tomb Raiders,” a complex fraud scheme carried out by the Tinkers and several others that began in 2016. In that case, the suspects fraudulently took ownership of 44 homes in Broward County, stealing more than $12 million from victims.
Suspect(s):Illya Tinker, 51, 7/29/69, male (IN CUSTODY)
Patricia Tinker, 46, 11/24/73, female (IN CUSTODY)
Rashida Overby, 46, 6/18/74, female, 8341 N.W. 54th Court, Lauderhill (IN CUSTODY)
Ria Sankar-Balram, 40, 4/20/80, female, 601 S.W. 79th Ave., North Lauderdale
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Lotus Boca Raton Homeowner Sued For Spreading Rumors About Neighbor
- Palm Beach County COVID Hospitalizations Jump
- FLORIDA: Tropical Depression Now Likely To Form
- DeSantis Again Declares Victory Over CDC Cruise Restrictions
- HURRICANE CENTER: Tropical Depression Likely To Form Within Days Near Florida
- Boca Raton Woman Drives Without Tire, FaceTimes During DUI Stop
- Fort Lauderdale Airport Again At Capacity, Off-Site Parking Opens
- FLORIDA COVID DISASTER: CDC Reveals 12K New Cases Wednesday, 60K In Week
- HURRICANE CENTER: System Drifting, Formation Chance Increases