BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — A man hunting iguanas near several Boca Raton area schools Tuesday led to a lockdown and a police response. It didn’t take long to realize that the man was paid to kill the pests, but it’s clear having a gun near a school — regardless of the reason — is not a good idea.
Omni Middle School and Spanish River High School both went into “lockdown” status.
Here’s the message sent to Omni parents from School Principal Nikkia DeLuz:
I’m writing to inform you about events that occurred off campus late this afternoon, and led to a lockdown of our campus.
Police were called after a man, with a rifle, was spotted in the community near Spanish River High School. Spanish River and Omni went into an immediate lockdown as a safety precaution.
Police on the scene quickly identified, detained, and questioned the individual. According to police, the individual was hunting iguanas. He never entered our campus.
I want to thank the School District Police Department as well as the Boca Police Department for their swift response and resolution of this matter. I also want to thank the individuals who notified police upon seeing this individual.
As always, please contact me if you have any questions.
Dr. Nikkia DeLuz
Principal, Omni Middle School
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Glades Road Entrance, Exit Closed All Weekend For Turnpike
- Boca Raton Man Arrested Six Times, Now For DUI
- Parkland Man Shot, Killed By Police Identified
- Delray Marketplace Restaurant Shut By State, Mass Violations
- Area Teen Faces 11 Charges In Boca Raton, Bond Nearly $20K
- Mask Mandate Extended In Palm Beach County As COVID Spread Continues
- FLORIDA COVID: Infections Increase Again, Positivity Pulls Back Slightly
- Police Dispatcher Arrested For Misconduct
- Local Man Sentenced For Universal Studios Fraud