Teachers Ask For Help While Teaching Live. Palm Beach County School District Confirms Issue.
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Teachers apparently complaining of heat, poor ventilation and unteachable conditions at Calusa Elementary School in Boca Raton Wednesday afternoon got such attention that multiple parents called our newsroom asking for help. Calusa is a COVID hotspot in the Palm Beach County School District — there are 14 confirmed COVID cases in the school.
The Palm Beach County School District confirmed the school’s brand new air conditioner system failed in a statement transmitted to BocaNewsNow.com:
“The a/c unit at Calusa is down in one of the air handlers. It is a brand new air handler replaced with the FCA funding. District maintenance crews tried, but could not, get the individual handler up and running. As a result, the District reached out to the GC to get the manufacturer to respond and advise next steps as expeditiously as possible.”
The statement added:
“It’s important to note that the supply and exhaust fans are still running, so there is adequate ventilation. That said, this repair is a priority and is being addressed.”
It was not immediately clear how many students and teachers — all of whom must wear masks all day — were affected by the air conditioning issue or whether the school will be open on Thursday. The CDC has repeatedly cited ventilation as a vital component in preventing the spread of COVID. Even if ventilation is quasi-functional, outside temperatures in the 80s can lead to a humid, musty feel if cooling is non-functional.
Calusa Elementary has a higher in-person student population right now than most of the Palm Beach County School District.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Police: Man Slams Car Into Pedestrian, Drags Him To Death
- FLORIDA COVID: Big Jump In New Infections, But It’s Not All Bad News
- Will COVID Shot Be Mandatory For Palm Beach County School Students?
- Strangulation Charge Filed Against Boca Raton Man
- University of Miami Fined $22M For False Billing
- Masks Not On Next Palm Beach County School Board Agenda
- CLAIM: Boca Raton Investment Firm Defrauded Seniors, Took 4.2M In PPP Funds
- POLO CLUB BOCA: Palm Beach County Alleges Building Permit Fraud
- POLICE: Woman Sold Cocaine Near Delray Beach School