BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Source: Broward Sheriff’s Office Advisory) — The Broward Sheriff’s Office Homicide Unit is conducting a death investigation following a carjacking.
Shortly before 1 a.m. Friday morning, Broward Regional Communications received a call regarding a vehicle stolen during a carjacking in Boca Raton. Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies assisted the Boca Raton Police Department in tracking the stolen vehicle, a dark-colored Cadillac. The car came to a stop in the 1100 block of Northwest 18th Drive in Pompano Beach. A passenger in the car, Alex Exantus, fled from the car and was later detained in a nearby apartment complex. Deputies found another person in the car, Ariel Collazo, deceased from an apparent gunshot wound. A loaded firearm was found in the vehicle.
Preliminary investigation reveals that no BSO deputies discharged their firearms during this incident.
BSO’s Homicide Unit is conducting a death investigation, and the Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office will determine Collazo’s cause and manner of death.
The Boca Raton Police Department will investigate the carjacking in their jurisdiction. Exantus will face charges in connection with a carjacking in BSO’s North Lauderdale district that occurred in the parking lot of an apartment complex at 10 p.m. Thursday night in the 1200 block of Hampton Boulevard.
Anyone with information regarding this case is asked to call Det. Kevin Nitsch at 954-321-4876. If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477) or online at browardcrimestoppers.org.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- POLICE: Boca Raton Man Claimed Girlfriend Had Knife, Pills, So Batters Her To Save Her
- FAU Henderson University School Ranked Second In USA For K-5
- Woman Slips On Pool Deck, Sues Boca’s Broken Sound Country Club
- HURRICANE CENTER: Keep An Eye On Growing System East Of Florida
- FEDS: Local Man, “Dandy Daddy,” Sentenced To Eight Years In Prison
- Flanigan’s Boca Raton Cited For Flying Insects
- GAS LEAK: Airport Road In Boca Raton Closed
- STRAIGHT OUTTA KINGS POINT: Stalking, Murder Threat Charges Filed
- COVID Cases Rise In Palm Beach County School District