BY: STAFF REPORT
Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The Palm Beach County man suing COSTCO for allegedly violating Florida’s Communication Security Act is now suing Avis/Budget as well.
(If you are reading this in a news app, click here to access photos and documents).
Jason Goldstein claims that Avis/Budget tracked his visits to their website(s) without permission. Attorneys representing Goldstein, who are seeking class action status to represent anyone who visited the Avis, Budget or Costco websites, claim that website tracking violates a Florida statute that makes it illegal to intercept communication in the state.
As we reported over the weekend, however, websites routinely track visitors for security and sales purposes. It’s one thing to know that someone in Palm Beach County is accessing a website and potentially making a purchase, it’s something else to track “Jason Goldstein” across the internet while monitoring everything he does. There is no indication in either lawsuit that Avis or Costco took part in the latter.
It’s also unclear what damage was caused to Mr. Goldstein or the proposed “class.” Merchants often use geographic tracking information to tailor deals, coupons and incentives to website visitors. A violation of the Florida Communication Security Act would potentially be a criminal matter, not a civil matter with a financial penalty.
Read the complete lawsuit, below. We are also republishing the Costco lawsuit filed just filed in Palm Beach County. If you are reading in a news app and the PDFs do not appear below, just click here to access on our main website.Avis
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Palm Beach School District Reveals FSA Testing Dates, But Is Lawsuit In Works?
- DEVELOPING: Lyons Road Closed In Delray Due To Crash Involving Bicycle
- Boca Raton Doctor Max Citrin Jailed On Insurance Fraud Charge
- Suspended License? Palm Beach County Waives Fees For One Week
- Nearly 3000 COVID Cases In Palm Beach County Schools
- Health Inspectors Shut Max’s Grille In January
- Delray Man Charged With Ordering Drugs Online, Nabbed By Postal Inspector
- Boynton Beach Woman Missing, Police Seek Help
- Local Man Wins $1M In Florida Lottery