BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — It’s been a year. It was Friday, March 13th, 2020 when the Palm Beach County School District announced that schools would remain closed after Spring Break until further notice.
If you go by day of the week, today is the one year anniversary. Spring Break starts for the Palm Beach County School District when the final bell rings this afternoon.
A year later, roughly half of the school district’s 180,000 student population continues to learn from home. Vulnerable teachers are still waiting for vaccine. The school board has taken no action to prevent the Gov. DeSantis mandated FSA’s from becoming a massive super-spreader event in just a matter of weeks, and there are nearly 3000 cases recorded of COVID-19 in the schools.
For all of the problems, there are success stories. Many students have thrived during distance learning. Parents have had the opportunity to enjoy a daily, hands-on approach with the education of their children. Kids have learned how to manage time, assignments, and have figured out how to have social lives that may be more virtual than in-person, but still effective. Teachers — at least some — have risen above and beyond all expectations, mastering technology while proving that you don’t need to be in-person to be effective.
And the unspoken upside to distance learning: there was no need for “code reds” “lockdowns. Campuses were crime free.
Happy COVID-19 anniversary.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Delray Beach Police Officer Arrested
- IT’S ALIVE: Hurricane Hunter Finds Circulation In System Near Florida
- Lotus Boca Raton Homeowner Sued For Spreading Rumors About Neighbor
- Palm Beach County COVID Hospitalizations Jump
- FLORIDA: Tropical Depression Now Likely To Form
- DeSantis Again Declares Victory Over CDC Cruise Restrictions
- HURRICANE CENTER: Tropical Depression Likely To Form Within Days Near Florida
- Boca Raton Woman Drives Without Tire, FaceTimes During DUI Stop
- Fort Lauderdale Airport Again At Capacity, Off-Site Parking Opens