Disturbing Milestone Approaches As School District Awaits Word On FSA “Mandate”
BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — The Palm Beach County School District will almost assuredly cross the 3,000 COVID-19 case mark by the end of the day. The count stands at 2,992 as of 11:40 a.m.
Cases have only been recorded since the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year, starting in late September. The majority of the COVID-19 cases on record — 1,724 — have been logged since January.
The 3,000 mark approaches as the school district prepares to comply with a mandate from the Florida Department of Education to administer the FSA’s — the Florida Standards Assessment — in brick-and-mortar school starting in April. There is concern that these mass, group tests will become super-spreader events.
While there is technically no ability for parents to opt-out, a survey provided by the school district to parents of children engaged in “distance learning” does ask whether their children will take part, or not. There is considerable pressure on the Florida Department of Education to request a waiver from the US Department of Education so the tests do not count for anything substantive.
Florida Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran said just days ago that he is now open to that possibility.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Raton’s Victoria Boettcher Jailed On DUI, “Almost Hit House”
- Boca Raton Marriott, In Prom Controversy, Was Subject Of COVID Complaint
- NEW FLORIDA COVID PROBLEMS: Area Hospitals Filling Again
- FAU Student Wins $10K For Boating App
- Boca High, Don Estridge Highest COVID Infections In South Palm Beach County
- Boca Raton’s Steven Pollachek Jailed On DUI Charge, Twice Legal Limit
- Threatening To Stab Husband, Boca Raton Woman Jailed
- Marriott Not Commenting On COVID Prom At Boca Center
- Murder-Suicide At Local Hampton Inn, Child Found Asleep, Body In Car On I-95