Palm Beach County Records Highest Positivity In Weeks As Mask Mandate Extended.
Pediatric Positivity Rate Climbs Again, Now Record Level.
BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — Florida’s positivity rate just jumped to its highest rate in at least a month as infections and deaths continue. (News app readers access our full report).
The Florida Department of Health reports that Florida’s positivity rate for tests logged on Saturday jumped to 8.68 percent. That is the highest positivity rate since at least March 18th. The closest over the past 30 days was 8.17 percent recorded on April 12th. The rest of the 30 day period was largely in the 6s and 7s.
Statewide, at least 2,168,901 have tested positive for COVID-19. The death count is now 34,439. At least 88,213 people have been hospitalized for COVID in Florida.
In Palm Beach County, the positivity rate leaped from 6.02 percent on Friday to 8.24 percent on Saturday. The jump comes just days after Palm Beach County extended its mask mandate to at least mid-May. The infection count in Palm Beach County is now 138,967. The death count is 2,717.
Also notable is the pediatric positivity rate. It is now 14.6 percent — an exceptionally high number and the highest rate recorded in the past year. The Florida Department of Health defines “pediatric” as anyone 18 or under. The increase comes as the state “mandated” in-person FSA testing for all students grade 3 and higher. While some families have held firm and opted out, thousands of students are now taking part in in-person group testing. While unclear if the testing has lead to the pediatric increase, medical professionals tell BocaNewsNow.com that it’s “likely” the two are related.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- HURRICANE CENTER: Two New Systems Southeast Of Florida May Become Victor, Wanda
- POLICE: Woman Charged With Firebombing Area Temple
- KINSA: Palm Beach County COVID Situation Improving, But Hospitals Over Capacity
- FLORIDA BLUE ALERT: Patrick McDowell On Loose, Allegedly Killed Cop
- HURRICANE CENTER: Sam Turning, But Two Systems Forming East Of Florida
- Saturnia Isles Resident Charged With Homicide, Is Convicted Felon
- Florida Woman Hits Community Call Box In Front Of Cop, Jailed DUI
- HURRICANE CENTER: Sam Nearly Major Hurricane Southeast Of Florida
- ELECTIONS: Palm Beach County Supervisor Mails Ballots, Prepares Drop Boxes