Friday Morning Shooting Led To Lockdown Of Area Elementary, Preschool
BY: ANDREW COLTON | Editor and Publisher
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — The woman seen above — Dyesha Coleman — is the woman who police stay shot a random delivery driver in the area of JC Mitchell Elementary School early Friday morning.
The victim was shot in the leg after Coleman allegedly claimed her vehicle had broken down and she needed to use a phone. The story was a lie, according to people close to the investigation. Coleman used the ruse as a way to get the driver out of the truck.
In the minutes that followed, Boca Raton Police swarmed the area and ordered the lockdown of JC Mitchell Elementary — just starting its day. With the help of a Palm Beach County School District police officer, the suspect was identified and taken into custody.
The entire ordeal lasted just minutes.
Dyesha Renee Coleman of 1350 N. Dixie Highway is now in the Palm Beach County Jail. She is charged with: robbery — carjacking with firearm or weapon; homicide — specific felony that could cause death; robbery with a firearm; burglary (of a) dwelling, structure or conveyance while armed; kidnap — commit or facilitate commission of a felony; firing a weapon on school property.
To clarify two of the charges: no child was injured or involved — the kidnap charge, from what we have learned, has to do with the act of enticing the driver of the truck to leave his vehicle, then using a gun. The “firing a weapon on school property” charge is related to the fact that the shooting happened on, or very near, property used by both a preschool and JC Mitchell Elementary.
While Coleman is being held without bond, the Boca Raton Police Department filed its own request with the court to have her held for a mental health evaluation.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- HURRICANE CENTER: 90 Percent Chance Two Systems Form Within Days
- Carly Richards, 20, Killed In Boynton Beach Crash
- Boca Raton Lawyer Who Threatened Us Disqualified From Case We Covered
- HURRICANE CENTER: Two New Systems Southeast Of Florida May Become Victor, Wanda
- POLICE: Woman Charged With Firebombing Area Temple
- KINSA: Palm Beach County COVID Situation Improving, But Hospitals Over Capacity
- FLORIDA BLUE ALERT: Patrick McDowell On Loose, Allegedly Killed Cop
- HURRICANE CENTER: Sam Turning, But Two Systems Forming East Of Florida
- Saturnia Isles Resident Charged With Homicide, Is Convicted Felon