Threat Closed Two Terminals At Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International For Nearly Five Hours Saturday
BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
BROWARD COUNTY, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — A 74-year-old man allegedly claimed he had a bomb Saturday morning at Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport. The threat closed much of the airport for nearly five hours.
From Broward Sheriff’s Office in an advisory issued Saturday night:
“Detectives with the Broward Sheriff’s Office Threat Management Unit arrested Rosen Wegal for charges related to making a false bomb threat.
According to investigators, at around 8:30 a.m., Saturday, July 10, Wegal was engaged in a heated verbal dispute with a ticket counter employee at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport located at 100 Terminal Drive in Fort Lauderdale. During the dispute, Wegal attempted to walk away from the ticket counter located in Terminal 2 without his carry-on luggage. The employee advised Wegal that he needed to take his luggage with him, and he responded by telling the employee there was a bomb in the bag.
Wegal left the bag at Terminal 2 and proceed to Terminal 3.
“BSO deputies, along with BSO’s Bomb Squad and Threat Management Unit detectives responded to the airport to investigate. During the investigation, Terminals 2, 3 and 4 were evacuated and swept.
The suspect was located in the airport and taken into custody, and the threat was determined to be unfounded.
Wegal is currently being held at BSO Main Jail and faces one count of false reporting concerning planting a bomb, explosive or weapon of mass destruction.”
Bond has not been set, according to the Broward County Jail. Wegal Rosen, according to BSO, lives in Farhnham A at Century Village in Deerfield Beach.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- B’Nai Torah Boca Raton Camp Closes, Kids COVID-19 Positive
- Broward Schools Approve Mask Mandate, Palm Beach County Next?
- Local Lobster Mini-Season Diver Dies
- Florida’s Unvaccinated Adults Are The Problem, 12K COVID Cases Monday
- Boca’s Fit Foodz, Quates Mexican Restaurant Both Warned By Health Inspector
- Miami Beach Assault Leads To Massive Haul Of Guns In Broward County
- Palm Beach County School Board Members Silent On Mask Mandates
- Seven Bridges Homeowner Sentenced To Six Years In Federal Prison
- CDC Says All School Students Should Wear Masks Indoors, School District Ignores