BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — The COVID-19 crisis is not anywhere near being over in Palm Beach County.
Dr. Alina Alonso, Director of the Florida Department of Health for Palm Beach County, told county commissioners that the positivity rate is now back up to 7.8 percent and only 62 percent of Palm Beach County residents are vaccinated.
Those are staggering numbers.
Worse, nearly half of all people being hospitalized for COVID-19 in Palm Beach County are between the ages of 18 and 49. If you recall when COVID-19 was spiking a year ago, the elderly were by far the hardest hit demographic.
The Florida Department of Health, under the direction of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, stopped providing daily updates several weeks ago. The public is now forced to wait for bits and pieces of information from public officials when they speak, or when a weekly report is issued by the state.
The Delta variant of COVID-19 is now responsible for 50 percent of all cases in Palm Beach County.
It is unclear why there is resistance to the COVID-19 vaccine in what is considered to be a relatively educated, affluent part of the country. Health officials nationally say the vast majority of those now contracting COVID — and needing hospitalization — are unvaccinated.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- B’Nai Torah Boca Raton Camp Closes, Kids COVID-19 Positive
- Broward Schools Approve Mask Mandate, Palm Beach County Next?
- Local Lobster Mini-Season Diver Dies
- Florida’s Unvaccinated Adults Are The Problem, 12K COVID Cases Monday
- Boca’s Fit Foodz, Quates Mexican Restaurant Both Warned By Health Inspector
- Miami Beach Assault Leads To Massive Haul Of Guns In Broward County
- Palm Beach County School Board Members Silent On Mask Mandates
- Seven Bridges Homeowner Sentenced To Six Years In Federal Prison
- CDC Says All School Students Should Wear Masks Indoors, School District Ignores