BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — The COVID-19 crisis is not anywhere near being over in Palm Beach County.
Dr. Alina Alonso, Director of the Florida Department of Health for Palm Beach County, told county commissioners that the positivity rate is now back up to 7.8 percent and only 62 percent of Palm Beach County residents are vaccinated.
Those are staggering numbers.
Worse, nearly half of all people being hospitalized for COVID-19 in Palm Beach County are between the ages of 18 and 49. If you recall when COVID-19 was spiking a year ago, the elderly were by far the hardest hit demographic.
The Florida Department of Health, under the direction of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, stopped providing daily updates several weeks ago. The public is now forced to wait for bits and pieces of information from public officials when they speak, or when a weekly report is issued by the state.
The Delta variant of COVID-19 is now responsible for 50 percent of all cases in Palm Beach County.
It is unclear why there is resistance to the COVID-19 vaccine in what is considered to be a relatively educated, affluent part of the country. Health officials nationally say the vast majority of those now contracting COVID — and needing hospitalization — are unvaccinated.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Glades Road I-95 Ramp To Completely Close
- Fired Elementary School Kitchen Worker To Receive $125K
- MONDAY: Will Boca Regional Hospital Spread COVID-19 With Fundraising Events?
- Hospital Bed Availability In Palm Beach County Plummets
- NOT A COP: Delray Beach Man Charged With Impersonating Law Enforcement
- FLORIDA: Man Sues Car Wash, Surprised It’s Slippery When Wet
- SCAM? Cops Bust Contractor, Ask Potential Palm Beach County Victims To Call
- Man Pleads Guilty To Hacking iCloud Accounts In Florida Court
- Guilty Plea For Boca Raton Woman Charged With DUI After I-95 Crash