Could Public Schools Revisit Mask Mandate For Fall?
BY: ANDREW COLTON | Editor and Publisher
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — The Centers for Disease Control says Florida is now one of the five top states for COVID infections and deaths. Florida is joined by Nevada, Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana.
While the Florida Department of Health, under the direction of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, continues to only report weekly numbers, the CDC is updating daily. The latest numbers from the CDC show 71 COVID-19 deaths on Tuesday, July 13th. Those dying are not vaccinated.
At least 39,349 COVID-19 cases have been logged in the past seven days.
Palm Beach County has been elevated to “substantial” transmission of COVID-19, according to the CDC. That is just slightly better than neighboring Broward and Miami-Dade Counties, both of which are labeled as having “high” transmission levels.
It was not immediately clear if the rising numbers will lead to a mandatory mask requirement in public schools where children are not old enough to be vaccinated.
Palm Beach County, currently, says masks will be optional. But in elementary schools, most students are not old enough to receive the vaccine, which is only approved for children 12 and over. Health officials say those becoming critically ill — and dying — are the unvaccinated and increasingly part of a younger demographic.
A school district spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for clarity on whether the current policy could be amended before school starts in just three weeks.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 877-5FL-NEWS. Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Raton, Delray Beach Home Values Dropping, Selling Fast
- Rental Assistance Offered By City of Boynton Beach
- Florida Residents Scammed By Former NFL Player Says DOJ
- BOCA POLICE: Teen Uses Stolen Credit Card But Her Real Address, Is Busted
- New Voting Rules: Palm Beach County Holds Town Hall Meeting Thursday
- KINSA: Palm Beach County Almost In “Green” COVID Zone
- POLICE: Sexual Predator Moves To West Boca Raton
- SILENCE: Emmitt Smith, The Boca Raton Silent On “Go Pink” Controversy
- REVEALED: We Have New Palm Beach School Superintendent’s Salary