Could Public Schools Revisit Mask Mandate For Fall?
BY: ANDREW COLTON | Editor and Publisher
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — The Centers for Disease Control says Florida is now one of the five top states for COVID infections and deaths. Florida is joined by Nevada, Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana.
While the Florida Department of Health, under the direction of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, continues to only report weekly numbers, the CDC is updating daily. The latest numbers from the CDC show 71 COVID-19 deaths on Tuesday, July 13th. Those dying are not vaccinated.
At least 39,349 COVID-19 cases have been logged in the past seven days.
Palm Beach County has been elevated to “substantial” transmission of COVID-19, according to the CDC. That is just slightly better than neighboring Broward and Miami-Dade Counties, both of which are labeled as having “high” transmission levels.
It was not immediately clear if the rising numbers will lead to a mandatory mask requirement in public schools where children are not old enough to be vaccinated.
Palm Beach County, currently, says masks will be optional. But in elementary schools, most students are not old enough to receive the vaccine, which is only approved for children 12 and over. Health officials say those becoming critically ill — and dying — are the unvaccinated and increasingly part of a younger demographic.
A school district spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for clarity on whether the current policy could be amended before school starts in just three weeks.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Senator Marco Rubio Talks TikTok, FAU With Andrew Colton on NewsRadio 610 WIOD
- WHOSE BODY WAS IN BURNING CAR? BROWARD COPS ASKING FOR TIPS
- GO OWLS! FAU’s Student Affairs VP Joins Andrew Colton On NewsRadio 610 WIOD
- Broward Crash Backs Up Traffic Into Boca Raton
- Rocco’s Tacos Delray Beach Ordered Closed By Health Inspector
- SECURITY ALERT: Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport Evacuated
- HAMMER TIME: Boca Raton Woman Allegedly Hits Husband On Head With Hammer
- Body Found On Side Of Palm Beach County Road, FHP Asks For Tips
- Body Found In North Broward Burning Car