BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
UPDATE 2PM MONDAY, AUGUST 9, 2021: The forecast below is dated. Access the update here.
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — The National Hurricane Center just elevated the chance of a tropical disturbance east of Florida becoming a Tropical Depression to 70 percent over the next two days.
While the oval, above, indicates where the tropical depression may form and not necessarily a direction of travel, it is likely safe to surmise that anyone in Southeast Florida should be paying attention to the growing system.
This is the latest update from the National Hurricane Center mid-morning on Monday, August 9th, 2021:
- Showers and thunderstorms have become more concentrated this morning
in association with a low pressure system located about 150 miles
east of Barbados. Environmental conditions are expected to be
conducive for additional development, and a tropical depression is
likely to form later today or tonight while the low moves
west-northwestward at 10 to 15 mph. The disturbance is forecast to
reach portions of the Lesser Antilles tonight, then move near the
Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico on Tuesday, and be near Hispaniola
around the middle of this week. Tropical storm watches or warnings
could be required today with shorter-than-normal lead times for
portions of the Lesser Antilles, the Virgin Islands, and Puerto
Rico. In addition, heavy rains and flooding are likely for the
Leeward Islands, Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. Interests in
those areas should monitor the progress of this system.
- Formation chance through 48 hours…high…70 percent.
- Formation chance through 5 days…high…70 percent.
- Disorganized showers and thunderstorms have changed little in
association with an elongated low pressure area located several
hundred miles east of the Lesser Antilles. Development of this
system is becoming less likely during the next few days while it
moves toward the west or west-southwest at around 10 mph.
- Formation chance through 48 hours…low…10 percent.
- Formation chance through 5 days…low…20 percent.
LOCAL JOURNALISM SUPPORTER.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Palm Beach County Airline Sues Pilot Over Leaving Low Paying Job
- Kings Point Delray Beach Cocaine Dealer Back In Jail
- HURRICANE CENTER: Rina And Philippe Remain East Of Florida, New Wave May Form
- Toilet Talk! This Guy Wants Everyone To Hear What He’s Saying In Airport Lounge
- Arrest Made In North Broward Movie Theater Beating
- Boca Raton Man Jailed On Drug, Weapon Charges
- HURRICANE CENTER: Two Tropical Storms East Of Florida, Another Wave Developing
- Major Police Activity In West Boca Raton’s Lotus Community
- Stonebridge Country Club Boca Raton Initiates Foreclosure Over $2100