Palm Beach County School District Mask Mandate Remains.
BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — The mask mandate in the Palm Beach County School District will remain.
A circuit court judge in Leon County today sided with a group of parents who sued Florida Governor Ron DeSantis over his ban on school mask mandates. DeSantis crafted the narrative that it’s a parent’s choice. Parents suing said it’s not, it’s science, a step that is needed to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Judge John Cooper, in a verbal ruling transcribed by the Wall Street Journal, said “the defendants do not have authority under this law to blanket mandatory ban against a face mask policy that does not provide a parental opt out. They simply do not..”
The DeSantis administration is expected to appeal the ruling.
There was no immediate comment from the Palm Beach County School District which instituted a mandatory mask requirement over recent days. The only way to opt out of the Palm Beach County School District mandate is to receive a federal exemption known as a 504 plan, traditionally though of as an educational plan for children with special needs. Lying to obtain a 504 exemption could be a federal crime.
…This is a developing story….
LOCAL JOURNALISM SUPPORTER.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- PUBLIC WINS: COPS, CRIME VICTIMS CAN’T HIDE BEHIND MARSY’S LAW
- Fatal Shooting Under Investigation By Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office
- Major Boca Raton Gas Leak Now Under Control
- Wheelchair Disaster At Boca Raton’s Town Center Mall Leads To Lawsuit
- When You Drive A Tesla To A Boca Raton “Just Salad,” Hilarity Ensues
- CLAIM: Woman Goes Bonkers At A Boca Raton Animal Hospital
- Read The Lawsuit: Springsteen Drummer Max Weinberg Sues Boca Car Dealer
- Palm Beach County Could Give You $100,000 For A House
- Coconut Creek Man Killed In Head-On Crash South Of Boca Raton