Palm Beach County School District Expected To Keep Mask Mandate In Place For Weeks, Possibly Months.
School System Announces Policy As Pro-COVID Spreaders Sue Again Over School Mask Mandate.
BY: COVID DESK | BocaNewsNow.com
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — The Palm Beach County School Board will only permit masks to be “optional” for students when vaccines are available for the youngest students and the positivity rate remains low for a continued period of time.
At the school board meeting Wednesday, district officials said a COVID vaccine must be available for children five and up, the weekly positivity rate in Palm Beach County must spend more than four week weeks below eight percent, and the average number of new cases — on a weekly basis — must remain below 50 per 100,000 residents for four weeks.
While a vaccine for children 5 and up is widely expected to get the green light within weeks, the new case count remains a problem. Palm Beach County is averaging more than 160 new cases per week, per 100,000 residents.
The good news: numbers are dropping quickly. If current trends continue, it is conceivable that the mask mandate may be amended to “mask optional” by the end of the calendar year. Officials, however, said it would return if numbers started to rise.
As of Thursday morning, The Palm Beach County School District reported 6,177 confirmed COVID-19 cases — with 5,333 students and 844 employees testing positive.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- SCAM? Cops Bust Contractor, Ask Potential Palm Beach County Victims To Call
- Man Pleads Guilty To Hacking iCloud Accounts In Florida Court
- Guilty Plea For Boca Raton Woman Charged With DUI After I-95 Crash
- SCARY VIDEO: Two Thugs Rob Domino’s Worker At Gunpoint Near Boca Raton
- Popular Delray Beach Restaurant Sued After Woman Allegedly Falls
- BOYNTON COPS: 11-Time Convicted Felon Charged With Shooting At Three
- Palm Beach County Schools Closed Friday
- Near Boca Raton, Man Dies Next To Dumpster — Cops Think Hit And Run
- Brianna Tanner, 20, Killed In Boca Raton Crash