Gary Kovacs, According To Court Records, Fled Before Guilty Verdicts Read. Bench Warrant Issued. Kovacs Now In Jail.
BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — A Boca Raton attorney charged with money laundering and fraud has been found guilty. But Gary Kovacs wasn’t present for the reading of the verdict on October 1st, which led a judge to issue a warrant for his arrest.
That warrant was executed days later. Kovacs is now behind bars.
Gary Kovacs was first arrested in September of 2018. In a lengthy Boca Raton police report, which we are publishing below, he was accused of “keeping checks from clients that (his) law firm was entitled to.” After a lengthy investigation, Boca Raton Police arrested Kovcas “for grand theft over $100,000 and organized fraud over $50,000.”
Kovacs was released on bond hours after his 2018 arrest.
Fast forward to October 1st, 2021. Kovacs allegedly left court after the jury announced a verdict had been reached, but before that verdict was read.
Judge Daliah Weiss issued a bench warrant for Kovacs’ arrest. He was apprehended a short time later.
It was not immediately clear where Kovacs went or where he was apprehended.
The judge’s notes list the timing of events from October 1st”
1:38:32 p.m. — “Court reconvenes, jury has a verdict, defendant not present at this time.”
1:41:51 p.m — Court in recess.
1:58:59 p.m. — Court reconvenes.
1:59:45 p.m. — Defendant not present.
2:06:00 p.m. — Verdict: Count 1 Guilty As Charged.
2:06:14 p.m. — Verdict: Count 2 Guilty As Charged.
2:06:27 p.m. — Verdict: Count 3 Guilty As Charged.
Kovacs is now being held without bond in the Palm Beach County Jail. He is set to be sentenced on November 12th, 2021.
Read the original police report, below. If it does not appear, access the report here.KovacsPC
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- SCAM? Cops Bust Contractor, Ask Potential Palm Beach County Victims To Call
- Man Pleads Guilty To Hacking iCloud Accounts In Florida Court
- Guilty Plea For Boca Raton Woman Charged With DUI After I-95 Crash
- SCARY VIDEO: Two Thugs Rob Domino’s Worker At Gunpoint Near Boca Raton
- Popular Delray Beach Restaurant Sued After Woman Allegedly Falls
- BOYNTON COPS: 11-Time Convicted Felon Charged With Shooting At Three
- Palm Beach County Schools Closed Friday
- Near Boca Raton, Man Dies Next To Dumpster — Cops Think Hit And Run
- Brianna Tanner, 20, Killed In Boca Raton Crash