Troubled Bridge Over Water Is Troubled No More.
BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
DELRAY BEACH, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2022 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — It wasn’t a bridge over troubled waters, but a troubled bridge over water. The George Bascule Bridge — closed for months — is reopening late Friday.
The City of Delray Beach just transmitted this advisory which we are passing on to our readers:
On Thursday, March 3, George Bush Bascule Bridge, which was built in 1949, experienced a significant malfunction during an opening. The spans were raised; however, they were unable to close, and remained in the open position. Maintenance staff was notified, responded, and worked through the night, determining the cause of the malfunction to be damage to the original machinery, more specifically, a main-shaft and gear section of the drive system.
All replacement components have been fabricated and installed. Three weeks of extensive testing and an inspection period followed while the mechanics of the bridge were continuously adjusted and fine-tuned.
The bridge has now been deemed safe and will re-open and be fully operational no later than 5 P.M. on Friday, April 29, 2022. Intermittent bridge closures are to be expected as continued monitoring is planned.
Content copyright © 2022 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Woman Arrested For DUI IN Mizner Country Club Delray Beach
- New School Next Year For Your Palm Beach County High School Student?
- Have You Seen Anthony? He Is Missing From North Broward County
- Boca Raton YMCA Situation Monday Was Not Criminal
- I-95 Reopens In Broward County After 18-Hour Closure
- HURRICANE CENTER: System Forming In Atlantic…In December!
- Palm Beach County School District Set To Expel Six Students
- CRANE COLLAPSES ON I-95, SHUTTING DOWN INTERSTATE, MASSIVE DELAYS
- Amex Sues Palm Beach County Man Over $272K Unpaid Bill