Hurricane Season Does Not Officially Begin Until June 1st. First Storm To Be Named ”Alex.”
BY: WEATHER TEAM | BocaNewsNow.com
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2022 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — The Atlantic Hurricane Season doesn’t start until June 1st, but the National Hurricane Center is already tracking a tropical wave well east of Florida.
We stress there is absolutely no threat to the United States mainland as of Monday morning, but the wave’s formation in early May is notable.
From the National Hurricane Center: ”An eastern Atlantic tropical wave is along 17W from 02N to 13N. It is moving westward at 10 kt. The Hovmoller diagram satellite imagery sequence for the past 5 days reveals that this wave has a good track history. The latest satellite imagery shows an area of numerous moderate to isolated strong convection east of the wave from 04N to 08N between 11W and 15W. Scattered moderate convection is west of the wave from 00N to 11N between 17W and 22W. Tropical wave guidance has it moving westward over the next 24-48 hours, passing well to the south of the Cabo Verde Islands.”
The first names set for this hurricane season include: Alex, Bonnie, Colin, Danielle, Earl, Fiona, Gaston, and Hermine. The Colorado State University forecast for hurricane activity calls for 19 named storms, with 9 becoming hurricanes and 4 developing into major hurricanes. CSU’s annual prediction — issued for nearly 40 years — tends to be more right than it is wrong.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Glades Road Now Completely Closed Until Monday Morning
- LYONS ROAD NIGHTMARE, CONSTRUCTION LIKELY TO CONTINUE INTO SUMMER
- STRANGER THINGS: Man With Slit Neck Found On Seven Bridges Tennis Court
- BOCA RATON: COMPLETE GLADES ROAD CLOSURE STARTS TONIGHT
- North Broward Crash Leaves One Person Dead, Circumstances Investigated
- KINGS POINT ARREST: Second Arrest Of Year Is Battery Charge
- Nursing School Scam Leads To Indictments For Palm Beach County Residents
- Life In Prison For Best Buy Delivery Man Who Killed, Burned Boca Raton Woman
- SEVEN BRIDGES DELRAY $7M FEDERAL DISCRIMINATION TRIAL EXPECTED IN MARCH