Boca Raton Company Accused Of Violating Florida Telephone Solicitation Act.
BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2022 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — Boca Raton-based Office Depot (NASDAQ: ODP) is facing a class action lawsuit with the potential of huge ramifications for the company.
Palm Beach County resident Barry Berman claims that he received a series of unsolicited text messages from Office Depot, promoting ”back to school” savings, a ”flash sale” promotion, ”holiday deals,” and “Tide Laundry detergent on sale.” Berman asserts in the suit that he never signed up or authorized Office Depot to send him text messages. The lawsuit, calling for Class Action status, states that “the number of Class members is so numerous that joinder of them is impractical.”
Under Florida law, a company sending text messages without express written permission is subject to a $500 fine per message. That’s part of the Florida Telephone Solicitation Act.
Separately, the Federal Trade Commission can impose fines of up to $1500 per unsolicited text message. Learn how to report spam messages here.
Barry Berman is represented by the law firm of Demesmin and Dover in Fort Lauderdale.
Content copyright © 2022 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- CLAIM: Redcon1 Founder, Federal Felon Aaron Singerman To Be Released From Prison
- Three Arrested In Yom Kippur Anti-Semitic Vandalism
- HURRICANE SEASON ENDS: HOW CLOSE WERE THE PREDICTIONS TO REALITY?
- Computer Issue Hampers Boca Raton Regional Hospital Wednesday
- Boca Raton Woman Arrested After Incident Outside Renzo’s Pizza
- Woodfield Country Club Homeowners Sue Neighbors For Fraud
- City Of Boca Raton Appoints New City Council Member
- SKETCH RELEASED: I-95 SHOOTING LEFT THREE INJURED, INCLUDING CHILD
- LAWSUIT: Avante Boca Raton Nursing Home Patient Breaks Leg After Hit By Cart