Heads Up Florida! Time To Pay Attention To What May Become Tropical Storm Alex.
BY: WEATHER TEAM | BocaNewsNow.com
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2022 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — The National Hurricane Center mid-day Thursday raised the probability of development for the system in the Gulf to 90 percent. While it’s still too soon to say definitively that it’s going to become a tropical depression or a tropical storm, signs are certainly pointing in that direction.
We remind our readers that the red oval above indicates where a system may form, not necessarily a direction of travel. That being said, South Florida — both west and east — should pay attention. At the very least, a rainy weekend seems likely.
From the National Hurricane Center at 2 p.m. Thursday:
Tropical Weather Outlook NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL 200 PM EDT Thu Jun 2 2022 For the North Atlantic…Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:
1. Near the Yucatan Peninsula and Southeastern Gulf of Mexico: A broad area of low pressure located over the northeastern portion of the Yucatan Peninsula continues to produce a large area of disorganized showers and thunderstorms over the northwestern Caribbean Sea and Yucatan Peninsula. Despite strong upper-level winds, this system is likely to become a tropical depression or tropical storm while it moves slowly northeastward over the northwestern Caribbean Sea and southeastern Gulf of Mexico during the next day or two. Interests in western Cuba, the Florida Keys, the Florida Peninsula, and the northwestern Bahamas should monitor the progress of this system, and tropical storm watches or warnings will likely be required for some of these areas later today.
Regardless of development, areas of heavy rainfall are likely across portions of the Yucatan Peninsula and western Cuba during the next day or so, spreading across southern and central Florida and the Florida Keys Friday and Friday night, and the northwestern Bahamas on Saturday. These heavy rains could cause scattered to numerous flash floods across South Florida and the Florida Keys.
* Formation chance through 48 hours…high…90 percent. * Formation chance through 5 days…high…90 percent.
Content copyright © 2022 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark. BocaRudeton™ is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. Sirens™ is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. “You hear sirens, we know where they went,”™ is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. “Don’t Want To Be Seen Here? Don’t Be Rude Here!™” is a trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 866-4-FL-NEWS. Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Woman Airlifted After Fire At Century Village Boca Raton
- MISSING: This Teen Is Missing, South Florida Police Are Asking For Your Help
- Fatal Stabbing In Broward County, Police Ask For Tips
- KINGS POINT: Another Resident Arrested, This Time For DUI
- TRAVEL: Fewer Delays, Cancelations So Far At South Florida Airports
- WEST BOCA RATON: Cops Rescue Woman, Shoot Man In Head
- Man Severs Hand In Fireworks Accident, Hand, Man Transported To Hospital Separately
- SHOOTING: West Boca Raton Man Accidentally Shoots Self
- TRAVEL TROUBLE: Thousands Of Flights Delayed, Hundreds Canceled As Of Saturday Afternoon