UPDATE 5:45 p.m. — Crane COULD Topple But Hasn’t, Yet. Struck By “Cherry Picker.” Several Injured. Backup Extends For Miles.
BY: TRAFFIC CENTER | BocaNewsNow.com
UPDATE at 5:41 p.m: I-95 remains closed southbound. To clarify earlier reporting with updated information: the crane is unstable and could collapse after being hit by a “cherry picker” which sent two workers plummeting to the ground. They were critically injured. The crane has not collapsed at this time. FDOT and emergency workers are awaiting equipment to stabilize and move the crane.
UPDATE: At 3:45 p.m. I-95 is still closed, according to FDOT.
BROWARD COUNTY, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2022 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — If you are planning to head south on I-95 this afternoon into Broward County, don’t. Interstate 95 is now shut down in the area of Sunrise Blvd. Traffic is being diverted. The image above is accurate as of 4 p.m.
A construction crane toppled on I-95 injuring two people. Those workers were rushed to an area hospital with unknown conditions.
The traffic situation, however, is known, and it’s bad. A quick look at FDOT traffic cameras in the area suggests that traffic is backed up several miles north of Sunrise Blvd. in the southbound lanes. While northbound traffic is moving, expect gaper delays as people slow down to look at the toppled crane that has stopped southbound traffic.
There is no indication from FHP at this point as to when the road will be reopened. Expect the return to normalcy to take some time even after the barriers are removed. It is likely that this incident will affect the early afternoon commute.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Boca Raton Police Investigate Overnight Shooting Behind Aura
- TWO KILLED IN CRASH ON 441 AT KIMBERLY BLVD. IN WEST BOCA RATON
- Delray Beach Man Charged With Playing With His Jalapeño In Chipotle Parking Lot
- FEDS: South Florida Man Pleads Guilty To Medicare Fraud
- Crash On Turnpike Slowing Traffic In Boca Raton
- DeSantis, Self-Proclaimed “Education Governor,” Tightens Stranglehold On State Colleges
- Living Room Theater At FAU To Permanently Close
- TRAFFIC ALERT: I-95 At Yamato To Close In Boca Raton
- Rocco’s Tacos Delray Beach Cited For Ten Violations During Health Inspection