BY: ANDREW COLTON | Editor and Publisher
UPDATE: 4:33 a.m. Thursday: The airport will remain CLOSED until at least noon today. Passengers trapped in the airport for much of yesterday afternoon and evening were permitted to leave overnight. A record 20-inches of rain fell near the airport, flooding roads.
BROWARD COUNTY, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2023 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International airport is closed as of just after 6 p.m. Wednesday due to flooding. Some weather gauges suggest at least a foot of rain has fallen in parts of Fort Lauderdale.
While airports are closed for various reasons for often short periods of time, this may be the first time Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International airport has been completely closed due to a rain event. This is not a delay where planes are sitting on the runway. This is an order from the airport to not attempt to enter — or leave — the airport grounds.
Airport officials via Twitter announced that “FLL is closed to flights and roadway traffic until further notice due to the ongoing heavy rainfall and flooding on the entrance and exit roadways. Again, please do not try to enter or leave FLL at this time.”
Miami International and Palm Beach International Airports are operating as expected — although there are flight delays. It is unclear when the closure will be lifted at FLL. Check back for updates.
LOCAL JOURNALISM SUPPORTER.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Pedestrian Struck By Brightline Train In Delray Beach
- WATCH VIDEO: BOCA RATON OFFICER PULLS PREGNANT WOMAN FROM CAR
- HURRICANE CENTER: New System Being Watched East Of Florida, No Threat For Now
- Nine Students To Be Expelled From Palm Beach County Schools
- REMINDER: No Bags Permitted In Broward Schools This Week
- Major I-95, Glades Road Traffic Problems Expected This Week In Boca Raton
- Anti-Muslim Conservative Laura Loomer Sues Attorneys In Palm Beach County Court
- Cheerleader In Bikini Jailed For DUI In Delray Beach, Driving Strapless
- ALERT: SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING ISSUED FOR SOUTH PALM BEACH COUNTY