BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
BROWARD COUNTY, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2023 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — All public schools in Broward County are closed Thursday due to the aftermath of record rainfall and flooding throughout the area. Palm Beach County schools and Miami-Dade County schools are open.
Broward County School officials issued this statement late Wednesday: “Wednesday’s extreme weather has resulted in hazardous conditions districtwide, with nearly 20 inches of rain reported in some parts of Broward County. Many streets are impassable, and much of the area is under a flash flood emergency.
The safety and well-being of our students and staff is our top priority. Therefore, in an overabundance of caution, all Broward County Public Schools and District offices will be closed on Thursday, April 13, 2023. All afterschool activities, events, and extracurricular activities are also cancelled tomorrow.
Updates regarding school operations for Friday, April 14 will be provided during the day at browardschools.com, on Twitter (@browardschools), and via ParentLink. Please check periodically for updates.”
Flash flooding warnings became a reality on Thursday throughout Broward County. A record 20-inches of rain fell near Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport over just six hours, flooding roads and forcing the airport to close. Passengers were not allowed to leave the buildings between late afternoon and late evening. The airport itself remains closed until at least noon — no flights are departing or arriving.
LOCAL JOURNALISM SUPPORTER.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Pedestrian Struck By Brightline Train In Delray Beach
- WATCH VIDEO: BOCA RATON OFFICER PULLS PREGNANT WOMAN FROM CAR
- HURRICANE CENTER: New System Being Watched East Of Florida, No Threat For Now
- Nine Students To Be Expelled From Palm Beach County Schools
- REMINDER: No Bags Permitted In Broward Schools This Week
- Major I-95, Glades Road Traffic Problems Expected This Week In Boca Raton
- Anti-Muslim Conservative Laura Loomer Sues Attorneys In Palm Beach County Court
- Cheerleader In Bikini Jailed For DUI In Delray Beach, Driving Strapless
- ALERT: SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING ISSUED FOR SOUTH PALM BEACH COUNTY