BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
UPDATE 8:57 p.m. Thursday: The airport will remain closed until at least 9 a.m. on Friday.
BROWARD COUNTY, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2023 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — The Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport is now officially closed until Friday.
Images show high water all covering runways and apparently seeping into the actual airport buildings. The announcement was made just after 11 a.m. Thursday.
“Due to the volume of flooding and debris on FLL’s airfields, the airport will remain closed for flight activity today, Thursday April 13, until 5AM on Friday, April 14, 2023. This will allow airport staff to work to restore partial operations on one runway, providing current conditions do not worsen. Travelers should not come to the airport prior to checking with their airlines for updated flight status,” said airport administrators in an official statement.
The airport first closed Wednesday as flood waters made access roads impassable. Passengers were not permitted to depart — there was no way to drive out. Roadways were cleared, a bit, overnight Wednesday into Thursday, but all flights were stopped.
LOCAL JOURNALISM SUPPORTER.
Content copyright © 2023 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. BocaNewsNow.com ® is a registered trademark of MetroDesk Media, LLC. For our intellectual property, terms, and conditions, read here. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com. Call 561-576-NEWS (6397). Arrest reports are police accusations. Guilt or innocence is determined in a court of law.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- TROPICAL DEPRESSION FORMS: In Gulf of Mexico, West Of Florida
- Seven Bridges Delray Beach Resident Arrested In West Palm Beach
- NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER: System In Gulf Is Developing
- Valencia Isles Sues Homeowner, Renter Over “Outrageous Behavior”
- National Hurricane Center Still Watching System In Gulf
- A Predator Just Moved To A New Neighborhood, PBSO Wants You To Know Where
- STRANGULATION ARREST: Delray Beach Man Fights With Wife Over Lunchbox
- HURRICANE CENTER: New System In Gulf, Florida In Extended Forecast
- WHERE IS HALEY? Broward Detectives Looking For Missing 15-Year-Old Girl