BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Boca Raton Mayor Scott Singer has asked Governor Ron DeSantis to take action on Lake Boca — an area of the Boca Inlet — after BocaNewsNow.com posted photos of boating and partying. The boating and partying seem to violate the social distancing mandates instituted by local, state and federal officials.
The waterways, according to Singer, are in the state’s jurisdiction, not Boca Raton’s.
Here is what Singer posted to social media:
It deeply concerns me to see photos like this, and I received quite a few of Lake Boca today. Let me put it bluntly. This is not the right time to invite a bunch of friends on your boat for a big party. You wouldn’t go out boating if there were a bad rainstorm. Right now, there’s a deadly virus that’s circling the globe and can seriously affect (or even kill) you, your family, and anyone you might contact for weeks. Don’t have a big boat party with people from other homes now. Just wait until this all calms down. There will be be plenty of nice days to boat with a group of friends after this. In the meantime, be responsible. Our healthcare system and lives, including yours, may depend on it!
Please note that Lake Boca is not under city jurisdiction. The waterway is governed by state law and under the jurisdiction of the state. We cannot control who goes out there. For years, we have pushed for more ability to police this area, but the state retains jurisdiction. In the meantime, our police and fire departments are doing what they can. This evening, I reached out to the Governor’s office to address this situation. Immediately, the Governor’s senior staff responded that they’ve escalated it and also shared it with Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission, who patrols the area. Thank you, Governor Ron DeSantis for your swift action.
UPDATE — Chalk One Up For Local Government. Click here.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Is Florida Gov. DeSantis Blocking CDC From COVID Data?
- CITY OF DELRAY BEACH REQUIRES EMPLOYEES TO SHOW VAX PROOF
- Want Local Misinformation On COVID-19? Check NextDoor App
- HURRICANE CENTER: New System Far From Florida Has 20 Percent Development Chance
- FATAL CRASH BOCA: David Hernandez, 21, Killed, Driver Allegedly Drunk
- KIDS HOSPITALIZED FLORIDA: CDC Report Reveals Children Hospitalized With COVID
- CDC Predicts 40,867 COVID Deaths In Florida In Four Weeks
- Seven Bridges HOA Sued Again: Defamation Claim By Caterer
- FLORIDA HOSPITALS IN CRISIS, 10K COVID PATIENTS USING BEDS