BOCANEWSNOW.COM FILES FOIA REQUEST FOR PALM BEACH COUNTY INSPECTION REPORTS.
THESE REPORTS ARE PUBLIC IN BROWARD COUNTY.
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — Palm Beach County Commissioner and Mayor Dave Kerner has spoken repeatedly about the work of the COVID Education and Compliance Team, but weeks after the team was created, there is no official report about what it has actually done.
In fact, while Mayor Kerner has stated that area police departments are involved with the team that is supposed to educate and, if needed, force compliance with mask and other orders, we haven’t found any local police department that admits being part of the force.
Multiple police departments have told BocaNewsNow.com that it’s only DBPR or other code compliance officials on the team, but no sworn law enforcement officers. If true, it undermines the credibility of the COVID Education and Compliance Team, and seemingly diminishes any power to investigate and enforce compliance.
BocaNewsNow.com filed a demand for all reports by the COVID Education and Compliance team last week with Palm Beach County. Under Florida Statute 119, these reports are public information. But days later, the report has not been provided.
By contrast, Broward County created a website for violations and tracking so the public can see all complaints filed, whether they’re deemed legitimate, and what action was taken if a business violated facial covering or other orders.
We have asked Palm Beach County Spokesperson John Jameson, Mayor Kerner’s Executive Aides Danna Ackerman-White and David Bernhardt and others for the information. We’ve already received an internal email showing that the request was received and discussed. Why Palm Beach County is not instantly releasing this information is unclear.
We will update as soon as we receive the report, or if Palm Beach County continues to withhold this vital public information as the percent positivity rate — the rate of spread in Palm Beach County — continues to rise.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- Did Boca Raton Police Try To Hide Death Of Federal Judge?
- FLORIDA PROBLEMS: Record Positivity Rate, Record New COVID Infections
- Johnson and Johnson Shots Being Canceled Throughout Area
- Flights Resume After Bomb Scare, Major Weather Delays At Fort Lauderdale Airport
- Roaches Found In Boca Raton Yogurt Shop, State Shuts It Down
- Real Estate Agent Susan Caljean Jailed On DUI Charge
- GETTING WORSE: Florida COVID Positivity Rate Highest In A Month
- FLORIDA HOSPITAL COUNT JUMPS: More Than 3000 Hospitalized For COVID
- Is The Boca Raton Police Department Doing Enough To Prevent Traffic Deaths, Injuries?