BY: STAFF REPORT | BocaNewsNow.com
UPDATE: SIGNIFICANT UPDATE AT 8 AM MONDAY, AUGUST 9th. CLICK HERE FOR LATEST.
BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2021 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — It’s still too early to know what the systems churning in the Atlantic — east of Florida — will do, but Meteorologists at the National Hurricane Center say one of those systems now has a 60 percent chance of becoming a Tropical Depression over the next few days.
The system is marked by the “orange x” in the map, above. We remind our readers that the ovals you see indicate where a system may form into a tropical depression, not necessarily a direction of travel.
This is the early Monday update from the National Hurricane Center:
- A low pressure system located about 380 miles east-southeast of the
Leeward Islands is producing disorganized showers and thunderstorms.
Environmental conditions are expected to be conducive for some
development over the next few days, and a tropical depression could
form while the low moves west-northwestward at about 15 mph. The
disturbance is forecast to reach portions of the Lesser Antilles by
late tonight, then move near the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico on
Tuesday, and be near Hispaniola around the middle of this week.
Tropical storm watches or warnings could be required with
shorter-than-normal lead times for portions of the Leeward Islands,
the Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. In addition, heavy rains and
flooding are likely for the Leeward Islands, Virgin Islands, and
Puerto Rico. Interests in those areas should monitor the progress
of this system.
- Formation chance through 48 hours…medium…50 percent.
- Formation chance through 5 days…medium…60 percent.
- Disorganized showers and thunderstorms have changed little in
association with an elongated low pressure area located about 1000
miles east of the Lesser Antilles. Development of this system is
becoming less likely during the next few days while it moves toward
the west or west-southwest at around 10 mph.
- Formation chance through 48 hours…low…20 percent.
- Formation chance through 5 days…low…30 percent.
Content copyright © 2021 Metro Desk Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. We vigorously protect our intellectual property and journalistic product. Broadcast stations must credit BocaNewsNow.com on air. Print must refer to BocaNewsNow.com. Online must link to BocaNewsNow.com. We have agreements with several organizations. Contact news (at) bocanewsnow.com.
The Latest From BocaNewsNow.com
- LAWSUIT CLAIM: Local Dentist Pulls Wrong Teeth From Child
- Boca Raton Woman Charged With Animal Abuse
- UPDATE: Thank You Grieco Ford Delray! My Explorer Was Replaced
- HURRICANE CENTER: Odette Forms, Expect Peter Later Today East Of Florida
- Palm Beach County Residents Among Many Charged With COVID, Healthcare Fraud
- Still At It: Parents Sue Palm Beach County Schools Over Masks
- POLICE: Boca Raton Woman Hits Car, Drives Away With Two Flat Tires
- Flying United Airlines Today? Massive Systems Issue Affecting Flights, More
- Two Tropical Depressions Likely To Form Over Weekend Says Hurricane Center